Coronavirus related news.


In chronological order, the most recent is at the top.


Item   From Mainly about Other topics
4 19 Mar 20 Barbara Rushbrook Skegness Dinner  
3 18 Mar 20 Dave Woods Outdoor season Reg Jackson 2020
2 16 Mar 20 Dave Woods Newark Outdoor: pending
1 16 Mar 20 Dave Woods Newark: pending  

*  *  *  *  *

4)   19Mar20 - Skegness Dinner

Barbara has asked that the message be passed on that the Dinner at Skegness has been cancelled, following the cancellation of the Championships.  All monies paid will be refunded in the next week by Barbara.
Could you please let your members know.

*  *  *  *  *

3)  18Mar20   6:00pm

Today, National Secretary Dave Woods has sent an email to National and County officials. The text of the email follows and then a more detailed statement about the basic consequences.
Following the statement there is further information about the Reg Jackson 2020.

"Good Afternoon All,     with all the uncertainty of the coronavirus and the decision made by Bowls England, we have now decided to make a statement on behalf of the Federation. It has now been decided that we have to cancel the outdoor championships for 2020".

This is the statement in full:-

                E.B.F. Season 2020. Corona virus Statement.

The English Bowling Federation has today announced the cancellation of all County games and Competitions for the 2020 season.

The Durham Centenary competition will be carried forward to 2021.

To be able to achieve the National Finals at Skegness, Counties would have to start playing their competitions in early May, but with advice coming from the Government it looks impossible for games to start that early.

We have been inundated with calls and emails from bowlers, who have concerns about playing with the Corona virus doing its rounds.

It is hoped that our members will continue to support their County and clubs and be ready to play when we are given the all clear to resume.

Although we will not be playing the 2020 National Outdoor Championships it is hoped that we will still be able to play the Indoor National finals at Newark in September.

With all the uncertainty we have also decided to cancel the Reg.Jackson tournament, anyone with an entry will be carried forward to the 2021 competition.

We are very sorry we have had to take this stance, but the health and safety of our members is more important than the game of bowls.

Anyone requiring further information, please feel free to contact the National Secretary by email on  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .


With regard to the Reg Jackson Tournament 2020 . . . . . . unless a refund is requested your entry will be transferred to the 2021 competition. Anyone on the reserve list will get the chance to play if we have any requests for money to be returned.

*  *  *  *  * 

2)  16Mar20   8:00pm

Good Evening All,

Following our meeting yesterday and the Governments recommendations this afternoon, we have now agreed with Newark to postpone the Championships in April until later in the year.

I have had calls this afternoon saying various greens in the North have been closed and Counties are unable to play their finals. With all the above in mind I have spoken with the Chairman and agreed that we should postpone the finals now until September providing the virus has been contained by then.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this will cause to people but feel that we have to take action now rather than wait a few weeks.

I have provisionally arranged a new date with Newark for Monday 21st September until Sunday 27th September all being well.

Regarding the Outdoor season no decisions have been reached yet, but we will advise all Counties when we reach the agreement. 



*  *  *  *  *

1)  16Mar20   8:30am

Following the Executive meeting yesterday, a message from Dave Woods:-

No firm decision was made on the championships, but it was agreed that a decision would be made before the 3rd April.
Depending what the government agree at their Cobra meeting later today and if as expected they put a ban on the elderly, then we will cancel Newark straight away as many of our competitors are within that age range. It is hoped that if this happens then the finals would take place late September or early October subject to Newark being available.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused


Dave Woods

E.B.F. National Secretary

*  *  *  *  *